The Great Vocabulary Hunt!

The new class novel we started, The Phantom Tollbooth, is fantastic for finding and learning new vocabulary! In light of this, I am challenging the students to notice new vocabulary both in this book and in their environment. As such, the Great Vocabulary Hunt will begin! About once a week, I will have the students, as part of their homework or in class, look for a word that is new or unfamiliar to them. When they find this word, they need to either take a picture of it (via iPad at school, tablet or phone at home) or write it down. They then need to find a credible source to learn the meaning of the word.

There are two options for sharing this word with me (and the class). They can scan the QR code I have given them (and that is posted here), which will take them to a Padlet. They can also click the web link here to take them to the Padlet. When they get to the Padlet, they double-tap to post their name, the word or photo of the word, and type its meaning. I will get an alert saying something has been posted. If they do not have access to the internet at home, I have instructed them to write down the word and definition and hand it in to me on Monday. I will post it for them from school. Following the students’ postings, we will take the vocabulary off the Padlet wall and put in on our very empty vocabulary bulletin board! I’m hoping the students will have fun hunting for new words, and that we’ll all end up with richer vocabularies :-). Thank you for your help, and happy hunting!

http://padlet.com/echevalier1/xv4x32v2l4ih

Vocab vocabhunt vocabwall

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment